Sunday 17 November 2013

The Curve Ball of Fashion in Reality.


Fashion industry standards vs Realities perceptions.


When I became a model I always expected to and consistently did put the word ‘plus’ in front of the word model. This was due to the fact that I would get looked up and down and be judged on my appearance, I wasn’t small enough, and had tits and ass for days compared to the ‘normal’ stereotypical model that the industry is used to.  I felt it was easier to call myself a ‘plus model’ to relieve any feelings of confusion on the bearers end. I never felt any animosity toward the word, it is actually what I am, a plus size model, and I was proud of my size and the positive message I was relaying to the world.  I never thought I would have to defend myself for not being ‘plus’ enough, which is something that seems to be occurring more frequently.

I am a size 12-14 US, 14 AU, 14-16 UK, well and truly a plus size model by industry standards. Although, what I have come to learn of in the last few years modeling is that industry standards and reality do not equate. My measurements as a ‘plus size’ are actually realities average and it can cause a hell of a lot of confusion within the public forum when someone of my size is considered ‘plus’.

When compared to an industry standard (clothes horse, heroin chic, cocaine chic, whatever word you would like to use, I don’t approve of any of them) model, my measurements are significantly larger.

-       Bust              33 inches:  41 inches  (30a-b:  36 DD-E)
-       Waist            24 inches: 30 inches
-       Hips            34 inches:  43 inches (Dang girl, that’s a sweet boot-ay)

                  Left: Victoria's Secret Model, Right: Laura Wells (me) 18th November 2013 


My thighs are around the size of both a straight size models thighs joined together, and I definitely do not have a thigh gap, I could probably start a fire between my thighs if we were desperate!
Yes I have a waist and a relatively flat stomach; it is something I have always had. I don’t sit at home constantly working out my abs (thanks for the enquiries), my weight is distributed mainly around my bum and thighs.
I work out, eat healthily but don’t stop myself from indulging (I just ate a delicious chocolate brownie) or being happy. I have muscle; I have normal sized calves, yet I still have issues buying winter boots that will do up.  I have home grown boobs and struggle to find shirts that do up without looking like the buttons will fly off and stab somebody in the eye; I have a butt that has on a few occasions bust the seam of a skirt or pants at the most inappropriate of times.  I find it hard to wear certain styles of clothing without looking like a block and have only in the last few years started wearing jeans again because I used to feel to ‘big’ to wear them.
I choose my swimsuits wisely, 1. So my boobs don’t go flying out when I go swimming and 2 so I don’t get a muffin top that makes everyone at the beach hungry for pastries.
I, like majority of others have body insecurities, I have overcome a lot of them but most of all I don’t let them rule my life or stop me from doing what I want. I refuse to let a trashy gossip magazine tell me ‘what’s hot’ because if I did next week I’ll be the shamed Miley Cyrus of the local area and licking the local wrecking ball will no longer be cool.

The disparities between the modeling industry and reality are profound yet we need to consider them for what they actually are not how they are expected to be perceived. When the fashion industry labels something as ‘normal’ or ‘beautiful’ it should not be taken literally nor be the essence of our culture.  Beauty is perceived differently by each individual and comes in all shapes, sizes, colours and textures. It is not airbrushed, and rarely has straight pearly whites; it often has cellulite (god forbid) and doesn’t need to be adorned in thousand dollar designer garments for the benefit of someone else’s approval.

Just because someone is a ‘plus size’ doesn’t automatically make them less beautiful, just as if someone is skinny does not necessarily make them less attractive, on drugs or extreme diets. A woman is a woman no matter how curvy or straight she is and it is about time that that is recognized instead of the ideals we are forced to believe.
If we judged people on the size of their smile, the fullness of their heart, the width of their generosity and their breadth of compassion, beauty would be a much larger cross section of reality and negative body image an issue from the dark ages.

I am a plus size model, in reality I am average size person with a healthy BMI and a goal to be as happy and healthy as possible. I understand the confusion, the strain and the negative connotations that has to society.  But we need to stand up and be our own judge of beauty, ignore the media hype and be the best people we can be for the sake of our own happiness, our children’s future and the legacy we want to leave behind. If I wasn’t labeled a plus size model I would have no platform to deliver my message of positive, healthy body image.


Laura Wells


17 comments:

  1. I vote for the right hand pic. The Vic Secret model's legs are too skinny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This blog post is not about judgment, the victoria secret model is still a person and if that is her healthy and happy normal then it's still beautiful. Your personal preference is yours alone but lets think of how she might feel if you said that too her or she saw your post please. ^__^

      Delete
    2. thank you for this katie! sirrus, you need to go back and read the blog again about not judging body types.

      Delete
    3. I like the picture on the right, healthier glow to go along with more flawless skin.

      Delete
  2. Thoughtful, insightful post and I applaud it, and appreciate your beauty Laura! (And will not *miss* the complete point of your post as the man above me has and appreciate beauty in ALL forms).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely true! Love the thoughts! for me an acquired inspiration! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic, keep on spreading your message! <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANK YOU for the second to last paragraph, and, well, the whole post! It's refreshing to hear someone supporting the whole spectrum of healthy bodies, thick and thin :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Poor Girl on the Left is starving and well underweight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a great post and touches on the main problem caused by pigeon-holing anything, be it body-size, music or acting roles.

    The purpose of categorising anything is for management. Categorise something and it becomes more easy to understand in the context for which it has been categorised. It's easier to assess whether a boxing match is a 'fair' pairing; it's easier to design a clothing range. Categories come with parameters, but they are parameters that serve a particular purpose (usually).

    So it does create expectation, because those same categories are used in a wider context (typically marketing a demographic) than they were initially designed for. So when you say 'plus-size', it sets out the parameters that differentiate one set of sizes from another in the modelling world. But 'plus-size' is just too broad for the wider public, but then how do you accommodate, 'plus-size, but with weight distributed more round the middle, also, slightly shorter, so just because of the above doesn't mean I've got excessively long arms'?

    With the tag 'plus-size' comes hope: hope that the proliferation of certain body types that don't include your own means that a version that appears in the 'normal' section might also appear somewhere accessible. But that can quickly turn to frustration and upset on reading the small print that says, "Oh, btw, the model is 5' 10", punters may look like an Ewok".

    What I like about this post is the upfront nature of saying who you are, what that means in your industry and how you differ from your colleagues on the other side of the runway. It's balanced and, as pointed out by other reviewers, doesn't criticise other body types just to suit an agenda.

    Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great post Laura - congratulations!
    It is so lovely to see someone from within the industry be brave enough to talk so openly about the stereotyping that occurs.
    Oh - but one thing you forgot about purchasing a swimsuit .....THE MONO-BOOB.
    Hideous tank style tops that just squash the assets into one unsightly blob.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha Suey Mac, I love this, mono-boob. It is definitely a big problem in the swim suit department. They almost need a proper bra inside the tank for separation.

      Delete
  9. absolutely wonderful. thank you for stepping up and voicing this. I hope many read this because the message is clear and brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The right one is the one the right.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just found this blog. Not only are you stunning, but most importantely, you are smart, witty, funny and kind.
    Boy did I laugh and identify!
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post. Love it. I've split a skirt or two in my day! I've been both super skinny when I was younger, and curvy now as an adult, and I've struggled a bit, but truly have loved my body both ways.

    You a beautiful, of course, but also very smart, and I love that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great post. Love it. I've split a skirt or two in my day! I've been both super skinny when I was younger, and curvy now as an adult, and I've struggled a bit, but truly have loved my body both ways.

    You a beautiful, of course, but also very smart, and I love that.

    ReplyDelete